choose the best answer.
Questions
1 - 5 are based on this text.
The Frog Prince
One fine evening a
young princess put on her bonnet and clogs, and went out to take a walk by
herself in a wood;and when she came to a cool spring of water with a rose in
the middle of it,she sat herself
down to rest a while. Now she had a golden ball in her hand, which was her favourite plaything; and she was always
tossing it up into the air, and catching it again as it fell.
After a time she
threw it up so high that she missed catching it as it fell; and the ball
bounded away, and rolled along on the ground, until at last it fell down into
the spring. The princess looked into the spring after her ball, but it was very
deep, so deep that she could not see
the bottom of it.
She began to cry, and said, "Alas! If I could only get my ball again, I
would give all my fine
clothes and jewels, and everything that I have in the world." Whilst she
was speaking, a frog put its head out of the water, and said,"Princess, why
do you weep so bitterly?""Alas!"
Said she, "What can you do for me, you nasty frog? My golden ball has
fallen into the spring." The frog said, "I do not want your pearls, and jewels, and fine
clothes; but if you will love me, and let me live with you and eat off your golden plate, and
sleep on your bed, I will bring you your ball again."
1. What is the text
about?
a. A young princess and her bonnet.
b.
A young princess in a cool spring of water.
c. A young princess with a golden ball in
her hand.
d.
The frog prince.
2. What type of
text is used by the writer?
a.
Narrative.
b.
Argumentative.
c.
Descriptive.
d.
Hortatory exposition.
3. The
communicative purpose of this text is ....
a. To describe a young princess with a
golden ball
b.
To amuse or to entertain the readers
c. To tell about our opinion about a young
princess and her bonnet
d.
To persuade the readers to do something
4. Paragraph 1 ....
a.
Gives an orientation
b.
Poses a thesis
c.
Shows an abstract
d.
Gives a general classification
5. What does “it”
refer to in paragraph 1 line 5?
a.
A golden ball.
b.
A rose.
c.
A cool spring of water.
d.
A wood.
THE PRINCESS DIARIES
Meg Cabot
Harper Collins
Young Adult
ISBN: 0380814021.304 pages
As the hilariously
funny tale called The Princess Diaries begins,Mia Thermopolis is just a regular
high school freshman at Albert Einstein High School. Well, as
regular as you can be when you live in a loft in downtown New York with your flighty artist
Mom.And as regular as you can be when your best friend is Lilly, a punky and spunky
militant who produces her own TV show.
As readers can
guess from the title, this book takes the form of a diary, written by Mia. Over
the span of a month, she relates her daily woes and embarrassments
in heart breaking detail. As with most teenaged girls, Mia thinks she is
hopeless, looks-wise. She's tall --- 5’9" --- and klutzy, and not so gifted
in the chest department. Then there is
school. One of Mia’s biggest problems is the fact she is flunking Algebra and,
to make matters worse, her Mom has begun dating her teacher. Gross. In the boy
department, the cutest one in school has the locker next to hers, but doesn't
even know Mia exists, even as his snooty girlfriend Lana, a popular
cheerleader, torments her. And to top it off, Mia is developing some sort of
weird crush on Michael, Lilly’s computer nerd
brother. Then one day, Mia finds out she is a princess. Okay, I know that
doesn’t sound bad to most
girls, but Mia hates the idea instantly. How does this fairy tale come true?
Her father is ruler of the principality of Genovia and since Mia is his only
child, she is next in line to the throne. Her dad sends in the big guns to
convince Mia that being a princess is what she is meant to do: her formidable grandmother
comes to New York to give Mia "Princess Lessons". And as the word
spreads around Albert Einstein High School that
Mia is royalty, her life just gets more crazy. The ending of The Princess
Diaries is a twisty one and
will leave you jonesing for more stories of Mia and the rest of her friends.
Questions
6–12 are based on this text.
6. Who wrote The
Princess Diaries?
a.
Mia Thermapolis.
b.
Jennifer Abbots.
c.
Meg Cabot.
d.
Lilly.
7. Who is the main
character of the novel?
a.
Mia Thermapolis.
b.
Jennifer Abbots.
c.
Meg Cabot.
d.
Albert Einstein.
8. She’s
tall–5’9’’-and klutzy, and not so gifted ....How
is a klutzy girl?
a.
She is a shy girl.
b.
She is a tough girl.
c.
She is a brave girl.
d.
She drops things and falls easily.
9. ... Mia is developing some sort ofweird
crush on Michael, Lilly’s computer nerd brother.A nerd is ...
a. someone who is extremely interested in
computers
b.
someone who is fashionable
c.
someone who is charming
d.
someone who is nervous
10. Who is the
reviewer of the novel?
a.
Meg Cabot.
b.
Jennifer Abbots.
c.
Mia Thermopolis
d.
Albert Einstein.
11. What is the International Standard Book
Number of The Princess Diaries?
a.
0380814021.
b.
0060294665.
c.
304 pages.
d.
200 pages.
Questions
12–20 are based on this text.
The
Lion and The Mouse
Once when a lion
was a sleep, a little mouse began running up and down upon him; this soon awoke
the lion, who placed his huge paw upon the mouse, and
opened his big jaws to swallow him.“Pardon, o King. Forgive me this time. I
shall never forget it: who knows I may be able to do you a good turn some of
these day?” The lion was so tickled at the idea of the mouse being able to help him. Then he
lifted up his paw and let him go. One day the lion was caught in a trap. Some
hunters who wanted to carry him alive the king, tied him to a tree while they
went in search of a wagon to carry him in. Just then the little mouse happened to pass by
and see the sad plight in which the lion was. The little mouse went up to him
and soon gnawed away the ropes that bound the king of the beasts. Soon after
the little mouse had finished gnawing away
the ropes, he asked the lion to run away.
12. Who are the
main characters of the story?
a.
The lion and the cat.
b.
The lion and the mouse.
c.
The lion and the beasts.
d.
The lion and the king.
13. What is the
moral lesson from the text?
a. Don’t look at someone because of his
clothes.
b.
It is best to prepare for the days of necessity.
c.
Common people may prove great ones.
d.
United we stand, divided we fall.
14. Paragraph three
mainly tells that....
a.
The little mouse asked for forgiveness
b.
The hunter carried the lion alive to the king
c.
The lion was tied to tree by the hunter.
d. The little mouse could prove that he
could help the lion
15. What did the little mouse do to prove his
words?
a.
He would never forget the lion.
b.
He tried hard to help the lion free.
c.
He ran up and down upon the lion.
d. He asked for apology to the king of the
beast.
16. Mother : the
slippery road.......................
Son : OK. Don’t worry.
a.
Be careful to drive in
b.
Be proud to go to the
c.
It’s to drive to
d.
How nice to walk in
17. Mr Budi : You
didn’t write the essay, did you? You copied
some else’s piece of writing.
Adi :
...................................
a.
Thanks for telling me.
b.
Really?
c.
I’m afraid that wasn’t true.
d.
Come on.
18. Adi : I have to
admit I copied Agus’s essay. I do apologise.
Mr Budi : .............................
a.
I’ll consider that
b.
No use crying over spilt milk
c.
It’s good for you admitted that
d.
Thank you for telling me
19. Nana : I
promise I won’t do the shameful deed next time.
Ita :
.................................
a.
That’s right, Nana.
b.
You’re not alone.
c.
You’d better keep your promise.
d.
I’m afraid that wasn’t true.
20. Christopher Paolini began work on his
debut novel Eragon ..............he was only 15 years old.
a.
if
b.
while
c.
when
d.
because
21. The translated novel I’m reading is
not as good as we expected. I’m ............with the book.
a.
excited
b.
exciting
c.
disappointing
d.
disappointed
22. Nina is going
to Medan tomorrow.She has never been there before. She is
really ......about going.
a.
depressed
b.
depressing
c.
disappointing
d.
excited
23. its extreme popularity,........ SpongeBob has
endured much controversy.
a.
Because
b.
Despite
c.
Although
d.
Though
24. The film wasn’t good. We were disappointed
...............the Film.
a.
with
b.
of
c.
to
d.
in
25. Adi :
What's the matter, Danis?
Danis : I'm
thinking of leaving school. I've got to start earning my living.
Adi :....................
a.
I wouldn't do that if I were you.
b.
Come on.
c.
I have no objection.
d.
It's crazy!
26. Nadia :............
after leaving school, Danis?
Danis
: I'm thinking of going into teaching.
a.
What's your prediction
b.
What's your plan
c.
What do you think
d.
What do you do
27. Danis : I wish I had studied for the
exam. If I had studied, I would have passed the exam.
Nadia
:..................................
a.
I feel the same way.
b.
No use crying over spilt milk.
c.
It's a touching story.
d.
I think it's well grounded.
28. Adi : Have you
seen pocong cinema? The
film is absolutely terrible.
Nadia
: ................It's extremely bad.
a.
Really?
b.
Same here.
c.
I don't think so.
d.
I'm afraid it's not true.
29. Nadia : Ha v e y ou pr epared yourself
for the exam?
Danis : Of course, I have. the questions
will be very much like the exam of last year.
Nadia
:......... I think it's well grounded.
a.
I plan b. I intend
c.
I hope d. I predict that
30. Danis : Who
repaired the bicycle for you?
Nadia
: Nobody.
a.
Dad repaired it.
b.
Dad and I repaired it.
c.
I repaired it myself.
d.
Why didn't you repair it yourself?
31. Some people are very selfish. They only think
of ...............
a.
each other b. one another
c.
themselves d. them
32. Let's paint the
house ........... It will be much cheaper.
a.
yourselves b. itself
c.
himself d. ourselves
34. Danis got to the station in time. If
he ...........the train, he would have been late for his exam.
a.
missed b. has missed
c.
had missed d. has been missing
35. It's good that Nadia reminded me about
Adi's birthday. I......... if she hadn't reminded me.
a.
would forget
b.
would be forgotten
c.
would have forgotten
d.
will forget
36. We went
out................ the rain.
a.
Although b. Because
c.
In spite of d. Because of
37. I’d like to say that everyone should
read the book......................
a.
As a conclusion
b.
To come to the conclusion
c.
Concluding
d.
To conclude
38. Ultimately, all
the carbon compounds.....by decomposition, and the carbon is
released as CO2 to be used again by plants.
a.
break down b. broke down
c.
is broken down d. are broken down
39. Water into the
atmosphere...................by
plants through photosynthesis.
a.
is also released b. is releasing
c.
releases d. has released
40. If I had known
her, I............ to her.
a.
would speak
b.
will speak
c .
would have spoken
d.
spoke
1. D 14. D
27. A 40.C
2. A 15. B 28. B
3. B 16. A 29. C
4. A 17. C 30. C
5. C 18. C 31. C
6. C 19. C 32.
D
7. A 20. C 33. C
8. D 21. D 34. C
9. A 22. D 35.C
10. B 23. B 36.A
11. A 24. A 37.A
12. B 25. A 38.C
13.
B 26. C 39.B
No comments:
Post a Comment